- An order of insects that comprises the scorpion flies.More example sentences
- On the other hand, there was diverse evolution within the surviving orders, the Neuroptera, Mecoptera, and Diptera, and Coleoptera being notable examples.
- We have isolated and characterized the first LW opsin genes from two orders: Mecoptera and Siphonaptera.
- Additional specimens of Mecoptera are housed in the collections of the Maine State Forest Service, Insect and Disease Laboratory in Augusta; however, these specimens have not been identified.
- More example sentences
- Panorpidae (true scorpionflies) is the most speciose family of mecopterans.
- The hymenopteran and mecopteran arolium may be patterned in lines.
- There are about 550 species of mecopterans worldwide, with 81 species in the United States and Canada.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek mēkos 'length' + pteron 'wing'.
More definitions of MecopteraDefinition of Mecoptera in:
- The US English dictionary