Definition of Mecoptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the scorpion flies.
- On the other hand, there was diverse evolution within the surviving orders, the Neuroptera, Mecoptera, and Diptera, and Coleoptera being notable examples.
- We have isolated and characterized the first LW opsin genes from two orders: Mecoptera and Siphonaptera.
- Additional specimens of Mecoptera are housed in the collections of the Maine State Forest Service, Insect and Disease Laboratory in Augusta; however, these specimens have not been identified.
mecopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Panorpidae (true scorpionflies) is the most speciose family of mecopterans.
- The hymenopteran and mecopteran arolium may be patterned in lines.
- There are about 550 species of mecopterans worldwide, with 81 species in the United States and Canada.
Definition of Mecoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India