Definition of Mediterranean in English:
- The country has a 1200 km Mediterranean coastline and borders on six countries to the west, east, and south.
- The majority of settlers are concentrated in two main blocs along the northern border and southern Mediterranean coast.
- There are many different packages available for Mediterranean cruises, so be sure to shop around to find the one that suits you best.
- These worked well, colouring our subject's lily white skin with a light Mediterranean tan while leaving all the other colours in the shot true.
- He was of Mediterranean appearance or had tanned skin.
- The suspect is described as being in his mid 30s, of Mediterranean appearance, with short dark hair, dark brown eyes and with facial stubble.
nounBack to top
- Africans, Asians and Latin Americans now roam the streets alongside Mediterraneans, other Europeans, native Australians and the many-generationed Anglo-Australians.
- Greeks, Italians, and other Mediterraneans cook their vegetables in olive oil or drizzle it over salads to enhance their flavor.
- It would be like imagining that ancient Mediterraneans thought and behaved like middle class Americans.
ocean from Middle English:
The first mention of ocean in English looks back to the classical world. The ancient Greeks believed the world was surrounded by a great river, which they called okeanos. Ocean originally described the body of water (‘the Great Outer Sea’ as contrasted with the Mediterranean and other inland seas) regarded as enclosing the earth's single land mass, that of Europe and Asia, which at the time was the only land known. The Mediterranean is the sea ‘in the middle of the earth’ or ‘enclosed by land’, from Latin medius ‘middle’ and terra ‘land’. See also atlas, peace
Words that rhyme with MediterraneanAlbanian, Azanian, Iranian, Jordanian, Lithuanian, Mauritanian, Panamanian, Pennsylvanian, Pomeranian, Romanian, Ruritanian, Sassanian, subterranean, Tasmanian, Transylvanian, Tripolitanian, Turanian, Ukrainian, Vulcanian
Definition of Mediterranean in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.