Definition of Megachiroptera in English:
A division of bats that comprises the fruit bats and flying foxes.
- Suborder Megachiroptera and family Pteropodidae, order Chiroptera
- There are two major groups of bats, usually given the rank of suborders, Megachiroptera and Microchiroptera.
- The Megachiroptera, or fruitbats and flying foxes, navigate largely by sight and have large, forward-facing eyes that can see in very dim light, as you can see on the skeleton of a fruitbat pictured above.
- The Megachiroptera includes the so-called fruitbats and flying foxes of the tropical forests of India, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
megachiropteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- The physical appearance of this species is similar to that of megachiropterans in general, with large eyes, simple ears, and no facial ornamentation.
- All megachiropterans are nocturnal with the notable exception of Pteropus samoensis.
- Baby megachiropterans are born weighing 20-30 percent of their mother's weight, and unlike many other microchiropterans, they are born with their eyes open, and with lots of hair!
Definition of Megachiroptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia