- The expulsion of magnetic flux when a material becomes superconducting in a magnetic field.More example sentences
- The Osaka group has shown that its resistance drops by 10% at the critical temperature and it has a Meissner effect that is comparable with a reference sample of superconducting indium at 3.2 K.
- In the past, the Meissner effect has been used to levitate a dipole magnet placed on the surface of a superconductor.
- This effect is called the Meissner effect after the name of its discoverer.
1930s; named after Fritz W. Meissner (1882–1974), German physicist.
More definitions of Meissner effectDefinition of Meissner effect in:
- The US English dictionary