noun (plural same or Meistersingers)
- A member of one of the guilds of German lyric poets and musicians which flourished from the 12th to 17th century, known for their elaborate technique.More example sentences
- The song contest in Wagner's opera Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg probably reflects the existence of a similar tradition among the German Meistersinger.
- It's a stately reading, full of ceremony and pageantry, like the Meistersinger overture, which Mahler suggested should be programmed in concert before his Seventh, to give the audience a foretaste of where they would wind up.
- Durer's own poetry is, Professor Price tells us, in a populist idiom, comparable to that of Hans Sachs, the Meistersinger, but, at its best, it is by no means negligible.
German, from Meister 'master' + Singer 'singer'.
More definitions of MeistersingerDefinition of Meistersinger in:
- The US English dictionary