noun(in phrase do a Melba) Australian • informal
- Return from retirement, or make several farewell appearances.More example sentences
- Perhaps some of these words and expressions will do a Melba one day.
- I'm doing a Melba and will be back in the water on Monday.
- I realised I'd have to make an overt confession and say I was doing a Melba - I'm not going to make another announcement, you can count on that.
1970s: from the name of the soprano Dame Nellie Melba (see Melba, Dame Nellie), who made repeated ‘farewell’ appearances.
More definitions of MelbaDefinition of Melba in:
- The US English dictionary