Definition of Menominee in English:
noun (plural same or Menominees)
1A member of an American Indian people of NE Wisconsin.
- In 1822, Chief Shenandoah of the Oneidas purchased rights from the Menominee in the Wisconsin Territory to settle on their lands.
- The beginning emphasizes the pre-Columbian presence of multiple and complex cultures by referring to the creation stories of the Toltecs, the Aztecs, the Menomini, and many others.
- Several garden bed sites are linked by historic records to specific identifiable groups, including the Menominee, Mesquakie / Fox, Chippewa, and Potawatomi.
2 [mass noun] The extinct Algonquian language of the Menominee.
- "One video will have both audio and subtitles in Menominee, for advanced learners, and one will have subtitles in English, for beginners," Macaulay says.
- Although the disparities between English and Menominee make translations and learning difficult, the contrasts fascinate Macaulay.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the Menominee or their language.
- In 1827 another treaty set the boundary between Ojibwa and Menominee land.
- ‘One of the striking results in our developmental studies is that 5-year-old Menominee kids seem to use ecological reasoning strategies,’ he explains.
- Informally, we know that both groups regard trout as desirable and that Menominee fishermen tend to regard them as somewhat more desirable than do majority-culture fishermen.
from Ojibwa manōminī, literally 'wild-rice person'.
Definition of Menominee in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia