- Wicked; fiendish: a Mephistophelian cackleMore example sentences
- Ben Castellano is a talented but unpublished writer who strikes a Mephistophelean bargain with his best friend Brice, a bestselling author suffering from writers' block since his acrimonious divorce.
- His cleverly disguised off-cutters terrified batsmen, and a legend grew as cartoonists captured his Mephistophelean physiognomy and writers relished his deadly deeds.
- Max von Sydow gives a coolly Mephistophelean performance as Sam, the dapper, expatriate owner of a neon-lit gambling joint in the middle of a desert.
mid 19th century: from Mephistopheles, an evil spirit to whom Faust, in the German legend, sold his soul.
More definitions of MephistophelianDefinition of Mephistophelian in:
- The US English dictionary