- A projection of a map of the world on to a cylinder in such a way that all the parallels of latitude have the same length as the equator, used especially for marine charts and certain climatological maps.More example sentences
- Mercator made many new maps and globes, but his greatest contribution to cartography must be the Mercator projection.
- Many people are familiar with the Mercator projection, which maps positions on a globe onto a rectangular grid - enabling a map of the world to fit neatly on an atlas page.
- We then interpolated the gravity and topography data onto a 5 km grid using a minimum curvature algorithm and an oblique Mercator projection which minimized distortion.
More definitions of Mercator projectionDefinition of Mercator projection in:
- The US English dictionary