Definition of Metis in English:
noun (plural same)
(In Canada) a person of mixed race, especially one having white and American Indian parentage.
- He said the decision firmly recognized both Metis hunting rights and the ‘existence of the Metis as a people in this province.’
- As one of the three constitutionally recognized Aboriginal peoples in Canada, the Metis have the protection of section 35, which recognizes and affirms the Aboriginal rights of the Aboriginal people of Canada.
- British Canadians in Manitoba felt threatened by large populations of French Canadians and Metis, who continued to oppose British domination and refused to be assimilated.
adjectiveBack to top
Denoting or relating to people of mixed race in Canada.
- Army patrols scouted the Milk River country throughout the winter, occasionally encountering Cree and Metis parties, although at the same time, scouting parties also rode out but could find no trace of foreign Indians.
- While a Canadian organization is consulting with Saskatchewan First Nations and Metis groups on the disposal of nuclear waste in the province, the head of a Saskatoon-based uranium company says the issue is clear.
- Barry's a member of the Saulteaux and Metis nations of Manitoba.
Definition of Metis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan