- The English language from circa 1150 to circa 1470.More example sentences
- Modern English is essentially Middle English with slurred vowels (and additional grammatical structure added on to it to ensure that any meaning lost in the slurring of the vowels is added back on somewhere else).
- The court was a focus of literary and theatrical activity, and between 1270 and 1380 it fostered the growth of vernacular languages - Middle English and Middle Dutch, for example - as acceptable media of upper-class discourse and culture.
- Just read the first page or two and noted that it's much easier to read Old English (or Middle English, not sure which it is) once you know a bit of Dutch.
More definitions of Middle EnglishDefinition of Middle English in:
- The US English dictionary