- Chronic poisoning by alkyl mercury compounds from industrial waste, characterized by (usually permanent) impairment of brain functions such as speech, sight, and muscular coordination.More example sentences
- Toxicity via the food chain has been observed with organic mercury, as in Minamata disease.
- In chapter 9, fetal Minamata disease is examined, and the effects of intrauterine methyl mercury are described.
- Thus in many ways Japan has become the canary in the coal mine for the developed world, as witness Minamata disease.
1950s: named after Minamata, a town in Japan.
More definitions of Minamata diseaseDefinition of Minamata disease in:
- The US English dictionary