- A scale of hardness used in classifying minerals. It runs from 1 to 10 using a series of reference minerals, and position on the scale depends on ability to scratch minerals rated lower.More example sentences
- Scratch hardness is measured according to the Mohs' scale.
- So a quick application of Mohs' scale of hardness to the base of the item, using a pocket knife, was employed to satisfy my friend's curiosity.
- On Mohs' scale a finger nail is 2.5; a copper coin 3.5; a knife blade 5.5; and a metal file 6.5-7.
late 19th century: named after Friedrich Mohs, (1773–1839), German mineralogist.
More definitions of Mohs' scaleDefinition of Mohs' scale in:
- The US English dictionary