- An island group in Indonesia, between Sulawesi and New Guinea; capital, Ambon. Settled by the Portuguese in the early 16th century, the islands were taken a century later by the Dutch. They were formerly known as the Spice Islands. Indonesian name Maluku.
- More example sentences
- ‘They want to use the Moluccas as a battleground for political change in Jakarta,’ said the Indonesian political analyst, an ethnic Moluccan.
- With his Moluccan ancestry and manners, and his skilful, multi-faceted midfield play, Landzaat could be a right-footed version of Giovanni van Bronckhorst.
- Native to the Moluccan islands and cultivated in Zanzibar, Madagascar and Granada, the clove itself is the crimson bud from an aromatic member of the myrtle family.
More definitions of Molucca IslandsDefinition of Molucca Islands in:
- The US English dictionary