noun (plural same or Mons)
- 1A member of a people now inhabiting parts of SE Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand but having their ancient capital at Pegu in the south of Burma.More example sentences
- Myanmar has eight major ethnic groups - Bamas, Kayins, Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Kachins, Chins and Kayahs.
- Ethnic Burmese form the majority at 67.4%, and the remainder includes the Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Chins, Kachins and the Kayahs.
- Groups with their own states include the Karens, Chins, Shans, Kayahs, Arakanese, Mons, and Kachins.
- 2 [mass noun] The language of the Mon, related to Khmer (Cambodian).More example sentences
- Cambodian, or Khmer, is classified by linguists as an Austro-Asiatic language, related to Mon - a language spoken in Burma and western Thailand.
- The dominant Khmer language belongs to the Austroasiatic language family and is related to Vietnamese, Mon, and a number of other Asian languages.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Mon or their language. See also Mon-Khmer.More example sentences
- Halted in its southward move by the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea, Burmese encountered the Mon language.
- Today the Mons have no independent political status and the Mon language is dying out.
- This island is home to a community of Mon people who came here from their homeland in the river Kwai valley north of Kanchanaburi.
the name in Mon.
More definitions of MonDefinition of Mon in:
- The US English dictionary