- Relating to or denoting a family of languages spoken throughout SE Asia, of which the most important are Mon and Khmer. They are distantly related to Munda, with which they form the Austro-Asiatic phylum or superfamily.More example sentences
- It is a tonal Mon-Khmer language with strong Chinese lexical influences.
- For example, many Mon-Khmer languages in Southeast Asia have no inflections and no tones.
- The Kammu have their own language that belongs to the Mon-Khmer family of languages, but it is not a written language.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- The Mon-Khmer group of languages.More example sentences
- One group speaks Mon-Khmer, an Austroasiatic language.
- They constitute three linguistic families, Tibeto-Burman, Mon-Khmer, and Tai, although today Burmese is written and spoken by most.
- There are twenty-four groups, whose languages can be subdivided into four groups: Monic, Aslian, Eastern Mon-Khmer, and Northern Mon-Khmer.
More definitions of Mon-KhmerDefinition of Mon-Khmer in:
- The US English dictionary