Definition of Monarchian in English:
A member of a group of Christian heretics of the 2nd or 3rd century who denied the doctrine of the Trinity.
- Tertullian was battling Monarchians who opted for the unity of God and denied trinitarianism.
- For practical purposes the Monarchians have been divided into two classes, modal and dynamic.
- He was probably the first of the Monarchians to visit Rome, where he was well received by the Pope about 190-198, with whom he used his influence against the Montanists.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Monarchians or their beliefs.
- There are many attacks upon Oneness Apostolics who hold to the ancient Jewish Monarchian doctrine of One God.
- The Monarchian theory is a false teaching that started some time in the second century.
- Monarchian doctrine usually did not deny the deity of Christ; instead they claimed that the Son is the Father, not the eternal Son as part of historic Christianity.
Definition of Monarchian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.