- An island in the Caribbean, one of the Leeward Islands; population 5,100 (est. 2009); capital, Plymouth. It was colonized by Irish settlers in 1632 and is now a British overseas territory. Since 1995 it has been severely affected by the ongoing eruption of the Soufrière Hills volcano, causing the evacuation of the southern part of the island, including the now destroyed city of Plymouth.
- More example sentences
- The forced relocation of Montserratians to all parts of the globe, whatever the benefits, has ripped the heart out of our development efforts.
- Three Montserratians collected royal and national honors at an investiture ceremony at Government House on Tuesday.
- Both medical school officials said they intend to hire qualified Montserratians to be part of the teaching staff.
Pronunciation: /ˌmɒn(t)səˈraʃ(ə)n/adjective & noun
visited by Columbus in 1493, the island was named after a Benedictine monastery on the mountain of Montserrat in Catalonia, NE Spain.
More definitions of MontserratDefinition of Montserrat in:
- The US English dictionary