(also Mordva ˈmɔːdva)
Definition of Mordvin in English:
noun (plural same, Mordvins, or Mordva)
1A member of a non-Russian people inhabiting Mordvinia.
- The traditional homeland of the Mordvins are the Moksha and Sura river valleys and their tributaries.
- Today the Mordvins are scattered from western Siberia to the plains and forests that border the upper Volga.
- The number of Mordvins and their knowledge of their mother tongue began to decrease in 1939.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Mordvin or their language.
- The isolation of the Mordvins and their lack of access to Russian education ensured the survival of the Mordvin language, at least before 1917.
- As you can see, especially the Mordva language has dissolved into very small areas.
- The ancestors of Mordva people first appeared here in the mid of the first millennium of the new era.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan