- A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, a religion founded in the US in 1830 by Joseph Smith Jr.More example sentences
- I am referring to the Mormons or, officially, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Since the early church, Mormons have published newspapers and magazines.
- She insisted the Mormons were the only religion that was completely corruption-free.
Joseph Smith claimed to have found and translated The Book of Mormon by divine revelation. It tells the story of a group of Hebrews who migrated to America circa 600 bc, and is taken as scriptural alongside the Bible. The Mormons came into conflict with the US government over their practice of polygamy (officially abandoned in 1890) and moved their headquarters from Illinois to Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1847 under Smith’s successor, Brigham Young. Mormon doctrine emphasizes tithing, missionary work, and the Second Coming of Christ
- More example sentences
- At the same time, Mormons are very eager to be recognized as fellow-Christians by Christians, and some Mormon scholars are working earnestly to demonstrate the compatibility of Mormonism with historic Christianity.
- Most Brazilian cities, including our own city, have Mormon missionaries going from door to door seeking to covert people to Mormonism.
- Since that time the Book of Mormon has been the defining scriptural text of Mormonism.
the name of a prophet to whom Smith attributed The Book of Mormon.
More definitions of MormonDefinition of Mormon in:
- The US English dictionary