(also Moutan peony)
A tall shrubby peony with pink or white blotched flowers, native to China and Tibet and the parent of many garden varieties.
- Paeonia suffruticosa, family Paeoniaceae
More example sentences
- Species of tree peony include Paeonia delavayi with crimson cup-shaped flowers, red-tinged new growth and a height of 1.5m / 5ft, and Paeonia suffruticosa or Moutans.
- The moutan peony should be grown in a bright place, with direct sunlight.
- But I could not understand why Moutan peonies had survived the predations of Chinese peasants for thousands of years and are only now in real danger of total destruction.
early 19th century: from Chinese mudan.
Definition of Moutan in:
- The US English dictionary