Definition of Mudejar in English:
1Of or denoting a partly Gothic, partly Islamic style of architecture and art prevalent in Spain in the 12th to 15th centuries.
- There were double arcades, and balconies that were clearly influenced by the Mudejar style then popular in southern Spain, especially in Seville.
- The early 16th century Mudejar style of Moorish geometric ivory and coloured woods became popular, especially as French, and to a lesser extent, English taste turned towards the Middle East and Arabia for exotic inspiration.
- Mexico was a colony of Spain for about 400 years, but there's not much Mudejar architecture anywhere in Mexico.
1.1Relating to Muslim subjects of Christian monarchs during the reconquest of the Iberian peninsula from the Moors (11th-15th centuries) who, until 1492, were allowed to retain Islamic laws and religion in return for loyalty to a Christian monarch.
- Some scholars have criticized the notion as romanticizing the situation of the Jewish minority in coping with its Christian environment on the one hand and the Mudejar minority on the other.
- Islamic influences could have been provided by Mudejar communities in Huesca, Saragossa, or Valencia, or by trade connections between Catalan Jews and the Maghreb.
- Mudejar women took the leadership in protecting themselves and their kin against the challenges that the newly established Christian society imposed on the entire Mudejar community.
noun (plural Mudejares muːˈdeɪhɑːreɪz)Back to top
A Mudejar Muslim during the Christian reconquest of the Iberian peninsula from the Moors.
- In Navarre both Jews and Mudejares suffered episodes of persecution less frequently than elsewhere in Spain, so their living conditions were comparatively better than in other areas of the peninsula.
- Most of the Moors were driven from Spain, but two groups, the Mudejares and Moriscos, remained.
- The majority of the native Moorish communities, the Mudejares, chose to stay and be baptised.
Definition of Mudejar in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan