noun[mass noun] North American
- (In sport, especially baseball) used with reference to the emotions felt by fans or a team according to the outcome of a game: there was joy in Mudville following the Vancouver Bar Association league ‘A’ division championshipMore example sentences
- The punch is gone; there'll be no joy in Mudville; the game is no longer relevant, it's no longer popping.
- But there is no joy in Mudville: mighty Casey has struck out.
- Emboldened by the luck of facing a baseball team from Boston in a championship, Mudville anticipates certain victory.
the name of a fictional town in E. L. Thayer's poem ‘Casey at the Bat’ (1888), which features the defeat of its baseball team.
More definitions of MudvilleDefinition of Mudville in:
- The US English dictionary