Definition of Muggletonian in English:
A member of a small Christian sect founded in England circa 1651 by Lodowicke Muggleton (1609–98) and John Reeve (1608–58), who claimed to be the two witnesses mentioned in the book of Revelation (Rev. 11:3-6). Despite many eccentric doctrines, the sect survived into the late 19th century.
- I have cultivated an appreciation for the sense of humor displayed in a comment made in 1656 by John Reeve, the self-styled prophet of the British sect known as the Muggletonians.
- Millenarian hopes and visions surfaced at the time of the Peasants' Revolt and again among 17th-cent. sects such as the ranters, Muggletonians, Fifth Monarchy men, and some early Quakers.
- Some, like the Ranters and Muggletonians, may never have existed as an identifiable and proselytizing movement as such: perhaps they served primarily as scarecrows, and as targets for legislation such as the Blasphemy Act of 1650.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Muggletonians.
- He worked from 1631 as a tailor for his cousin, William Reeve, whose brother John co-founded the Muggletonian sect.
- I had been trying to track down the Muggletonian archive for a few years when a correspondence about Muggletonian doctrine commenced in the Times Literary Supplement.
Definition of Muggletonian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan