noun[mass noun] Geology
- A limestone or chalk deposit from the Middle Triassic in Europe, especially in Germany.More example sentences
- The Triassic record is represented by the Germanic facies: Buntsandstein, Muschelkalk and Kouper.
- He said that it is especially characteristic of the Upper Triassic, including the Rhaetian, but is possibly absent from the German Muschelkalk and is unknown from the pre-Ladinian Alpine beds.
- In addition, some species described as ‘Mytilus’ from the European Muschelkalk may prove to be members of this genus.
mid 19th century: from German, literally 'mussel chalk'.
More definitions of MuschelkalkDefinition of Muschelkalk in:
- The US English dictionary