Definition of National Guard in English:
1(In the US) the primary reserve military force partly maintained by the states but also available for federal use.
- The burden of employment has thus fallen more and more on the National Guard and Army Reserve military police.
- To meet this requirement, it appears that it will be necessary to rely upon a return of some U.S. Marine Corps units and additional Army Reserve and National Guard forces.
- It's also crucial to expose how the war has dangerously overextended the U.S. military, the National Guard and our military reserve units.
2An armed force existing in France at various times between 1789 and 1871.
- He sided with the Revolution in 1791 by joining the Corsican National Guard, and then with France in 1792, when he returned as a captain in the regular army.
- Their power brought the National Guard to Butte as an occupation force to squelch union activism in 1914.
- Tocqueville made no mistake: for him, the fighting that ensued between the workers of Paris and the National Guard and regulars was ‘a class struggle, a sort of servile war’.
2.1 historical A member of the French National Guard.
- They were put down with the help of French National Guards, and a number of the Pope's adherents were killed.
- Here the National Guards from all over France converged, under the eye of their general and the king himself, to renew their oaths and celebrate a year of achievements.
Definition of National Guard in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.