- A Hindu autumn festival extending over the nine nights before Dussehra. It is associated with many local observances, especially the Bengali festival of Durga.More example sentences
- During Navaratri, some devotees of Durga observe a fast and prayers are offered for the protection of health and property.
- India, by contrast, sets aside just two Hindu days a year on its national calendar Navaratri and Diwali.
- The old one got damaged during the 2002 Navaratri festival in the temple when, as is customary, an elephant had to touch the flag mast before bringing down the festival flag.
Sanskrit, literally 'nine nights'.
More definitions of NavaratriDefinition of Navaratri in:
- The US English dictionary