- An Israelite who was consecrated to the service of God, under vows to abstain from alcohol, let the hair grow, and avoid defilement by contact with dead bodies (Num. 6).More example sentences
- Samson was a Nazarite (also spelled Nazirite).
- Well in Palestine I would say they were called either Essenes or Nazirites or some other like term.
- On the other hand, it was open to non-priests to adopt a quasi-priestly life voluntarily, like the biblical Nazirites.
from Hebrew nāzīr 'consecrated one', from nāzar 'to separate or consecrate oneself', + -ite1.
More definitions of NaziriteDefinition of Nazirite in:
- The US English dictionary