noun (plural same or Ndebeles)
- 1A member of a people of Zimbabwe and NE South Africa. See also Matabele.More example sentences
- Now we are whites, blacks, coloureds, Asians, Shonas, Ndebeles…
- The anger of the Ndebeles - who make up roughly 20% of Zimbabwe's 12.7 million people - has reached crisis level.
- The Ndebeles consider themselves part of the Zulu nation and would ideally like to break away and form a new country with the Zulus in South Africa.
- 2 [mass noun] The Bantu language of the Ndebele, with over 1 million speakers. Also called Sindebele.More example sentences
- The official language is English, and there are four indigenous languages - Shona, Ndebele, Venda, and Tonga.
- As a further mark of its ethnic diversity, South Africa has 11 official languages, including Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, and Sotho.
- It is a Bantu language closely related to Zulu, Swazi, and Ndebele.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Ndebele or their language.More example sentences
- Our rallying cry is ‘Sokwanele’ in the Ndebele language and ‘Zvakwana’ in Shona, meaning quite simply ‘Enough is enough’.
- Toward the end of the first half of the twentieth century, their identity being threatened, Ndebele women began to paint walls of their houses and yards in colored geometric motifs.
- The murals became a highly visible assertion of Ndebele identity.
the name in the Nguni languages.
More definitions of NdebeleDefinition of Ndebele in:
- The US English dictionary