Definition of Ned Kelly in English:
1A person of reckless courage.
- I'm not a Ned Kelly and probably no-one you know is that sort of character.
- At Glenferrie Oval, a record crowd of 36,000 shoehorned into the ground known as the Sardine Can to see Ron Barassi, a Ned Kelly figure after leaving Melbourne over summer, make his debut as Carlton's captain-coach.
Late 19th century: from the name of Ned Kelly (see Kelly, Ned).
as game as Ned Kelly
- Audaciously bold.Example sentences
- ‘Good on you Ned’ is a compliment, ‘as game as Ned Kelly’ an old saying.
- We know that by the time of the first world war, there was a saying among the Diggers in the trenches, ‘Oh he was as game as Ned Kelly’.
- From hip to shoulder he was covered with blood from the spur, an’ although he could scarcely raise a trot you could see he was still as game as Ned Kelly.
Definition of Ned Kelly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan