Definition of Neotropical in English:
1 Zoology Relating to or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising Central and South America, including the tropical southern part of Mexico and the Caribbean. Distinctive animals include edentates, opossums, marmosets, and tamarins. Compare with Neogaea.
- There are a number of animals which prey on Neotropical river otters including anacondas, jaguars, caimans, dogs and birds of prey.
- Moreover, palm fruits have been proposed (together with figs) to be keystone resources for Neotropical vertebrate frugivores.
- They are Neotropical birds found from Mexico to central Argentina.
1.1 Botany Relating to or denoting a phytogeographical kingdom comprising Central and South America but excluding the southern parts of Chile and Argentina.
- Comparison of the nectaries of the presumed hummingbird-pollinated orchids H. imbricata and M. coccinea would perhaps help us better understand the structural features that characterize the nectary of such Neotropical orchids.
- Leaf production and fall patterns are well identified for Australian savanna species and for South American Neotropical savanna species.
- Patterns of resource investment were studied in male and female individuals in a natural population of the Neotropical dioecious shrub Baccharis dracunculifolia DC throughout one reproductive season.
- 1neotropics plural noun
- Example sentences
- For vireonids in general, prevalence was 23% for Panama and 14% for the neotropics; prevalences of all hematozoans together in tropical Vireonidae were 34%.
- In contrast with the neotropics, where a virtually ‘pure African’ expanding front was observed, migrants arriving at WWR were of mixed ancestry.
- Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla [Meliaceae]) is the most valuable hardwood species in the neotropics and is seriously threatened owing to overexploitation and habitat destruction.
Definition of Neotropical in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.