Definition of New Romantic in English:
Denoting a style of popular music and fashion popular in Britain in the early 1980s in which both men and women wore make-up and dressed in flamboyant clothes: the band were latecomers on the New Romantic scene
More example sentences
- Punctuated by stabs of early Bunnymen guitar and bouncing almost New Romantic bass, it's stamped through with energy and authority, those early nerves replaced by a confident stage presence.
- Making clubbing and dancing, rather than the gig, central was a crucial step (for Visage specifically, but for the New Romantic scene in general).
- For those familiar with his work, and the scene that grew up around it, you can see a lot of Nomi in legendary party boy Leigh Bowery, as well as Steve Strange and the entire Blitz / New Romantic movement.
nounBack to top
A performer or fan of New Romantic music.
- The quintessential New Romantics had become nondescript pop sell-outs with the snap of a finger.
- For 30 years, punks, New Romantics and rockabillies have paraded before Iain McKell's lens.
- Despite the music press making a few doomed attempts to revive the New Romantics under various Neo-Romo banners, it was a youth culture that has not had the shelf life of goth, punk or even, thank you The Darkness, heavy metal.
Definition of New Romantic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan