Definition of Newtonian in English:
1Relating to or arising from the work of Sir Isaac Newton.
- So the 20th century brought two major refinements of the old Newtonian picture: quantum mechanics and relativity.
- The remarkable insight of Einstein was to discard the Newtonian notion of absolute time and view simultaneity in purely operational terms.
- They lectured on the tenets of the Newtonian system and valiantly defended contentious issues of Newtonian natural philosophy against attacks from critics.
1.1Formulated or behaving according to the principles of classical physics.
- In the modern Tychonian system, Keplerian and Newtonian principles are maintained, as in the heliocentric theory.
- According to Newtonian gravity, light is not affected by gravity, as light is massless.
- Field's formulation of Newtonian gravitational theory postulates, and has variables ranging over, space-time points and space-time regions.
Words that rhyme with NewtonianAberdonian, Amazonian, Apollonian, Babylonian, Baconian, Bostonian, Caledonian, Catalonian, Chalcedonian, Ciceronian, Devonian, draconian, Estonian, Etonian, gorgonian, Ionian, Johnsonian, Laconian, Macedonian, Miltonian, Oregonian, Oxonian, Patagonian, Plutonian, Tennysonian, Tobagonian, Washingtonian
Definition of Newtonian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan