- An ancient city in Asia Minor, on the site of modern Iznik, which was important in Roman and Byzantine times. It was the site of two ecumenical councils of the early Christian Church (in 325 and 787). See also Nicene Creed.
- More example sentences
- The fleet sailed away, and the Nicaeans secured the city.
- At the same time, a Venetian fleet defeated the Nicaeans at sea, capturing twenty-five ships.
- Their victories against the Seljuks in Asia Minor brought them close to the Nicaean empire, and Vatazes was forced to return to Asia Minor.
More definitions of NicaeaDefinition of Nicaea in:
- The US English dictionary