- 2 /niːˈʒɛː/ A landlocked country in West Africa, on the southern edge of the Sahara; population 15,306,300 (est. 2009): languages, French (official), Hausa, and other West African languages: capital, Niamey. Part of French West Africa from 1922, Niger became an autonomous republic within the French Community in 1958 and fully independent in 1960.
- More example sentences
- Most Nigerien men observe the Islamic practice of praying five times a day.
- Here he claims among other things that Iraq really was interested in getting its hands on Nigerien uranium.
- During his visit, this high-ranking officer raised the issue of the alleged uranium sales to Iraq in meetings with various current Nigerien government officials.
Pronunciation: /niːˈʒɛːrɪən/noun & adjective
More definitions of NigerDefinition of Niger in:
- The US English dictionary