Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of Nilometer in English:
A graduated pillar or other vertical surface, serving to indicate the height to which the Nile rises during its annual floods.
- The first Nilometers and mention of their level records go back to the third millennium B.C. and even earlier.
- When the water level in the Nilometer was below 6 meters, a famine occurred consequential to failed crop yield.
- The elevations at the Nilometers throughout Egypt were all tied to a single common datum.
- Example sentences
- In addition, it has been deduced that due to the unit of measurement used in parts of the complex, the Nilometric cubit, the Copts had a large role in the construction of the site.
- The new addition to the column should be graduated with metrical height above the Mediterranean, as well as with the nilometric cubits.
- After a lengthened consideration of these important conditions, Mr. Horner arrived at the conclusion that any wearing away of the bed of the channel north of Semne, the site of these ancient nilometric markings, could not have taken place within the historical period.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.