- 1Relating to the River Nile or to the Nile region of Africa.More example sentences
- Lastly, the unequal representation of Cushitic or Nilotic artists and their cultures cannot be dismissed.
- Within the African clade, a wide-ranging tropical savannah species, B. pfeifferi, and a Nilotic species complex, have both colonized Rift Valley lakes and produced endemic lacustrine forms.
- The nonspecialist reader would hardly realize, for example, that the supposed connection between Cleopatra and the great Nilotic mosaic at Palestrina is a conjecture with which most scholars would disagree.
- 2Denoting or belonging to a family of languages spoken in Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, and Tanzania. The western group includes Luo and Dinka; the eastern group includes Masai and Turkana.More example sentences
- The largest Nilotic populations in Uganda are the Iteso and Karamojong ethnic groups, who speak Eastern Nilotic languages, and the Acholi, Langi, and Alur, who speak Western Nilotic languages.
- Linguists classify Dinka as a major language family in the Nilotic category of African languages.
- There are more than one hundred different indigenous languages spoken in Sudan, including Nubian, Ta Bedawie, and dialects of Nilotic and Nilo-Hamitic languages.
via Latin from Greek Neilōtikos, from Neilos 'Nile'.
More definitions of NiloticDefinition of Nilotic in:
- The US English dictionary