Definition of Nilotic in English:
1Relating to the River Nile or to the Nile region of Africa.
- Lastly, the unequal representation of Cushitic or Nilotic artists and their cultures cannot be dismissed.
- Within the African clade, a wide-ranging tropical savannah species, B. pfeifferi, and a Nilotic species complex, have both colonized Rift Valley lakes and produced endemic lacustrine forms.
- The nonspecialist reader would hardly realize, for example, that the supposed connection between Cleopatra and the great Nilotic mosaic at Palestrina is a conjecture with which most scholars would disagree.
2Denoting or belonging to a family of languages spoken in Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, and Tanzania. The western group includes Luo and Dinka; the eastern group includes Masai and Turkana.
- The largest Nilotic populations in Uganda are the Iteso and Karamojong ethnic groups, who speak Eastern Nilotic languages, and the Acholi, Langi, and Alur, who speak Western Nilotic languages.
- Linguists classify Dinka as a major language family in the Nilotic category of African languages.
- There are more than one hundred different indigenous languages spoken in Sudan, including Nubian, Ta Bedawie, and dialects of Nilotic and Nilo-Hamitic languages.
Definition of Nilotic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan