Definition of Nilotic in English:
1Relating to the River Nile or to the Nile region of Africa.
- Lastly, the unequal representation of Cushitic or Nilotic artists and their cultures cannot be dismissed.
- Within the African clade, a wide-ranging tropical savannah species, B. pfeifferi, and a Nilotic species complex, have both colonized Rift Valley lakes and produced endemic lacustrine forms.
- The nonspecialist reader would hardly realize, for example, that the supposed connection between Cleopatra and the great Nilotic mosaic at Palestrina is a conjecture with which most scholars would disagree.
2Denoting or belonging to a family of languages spoken in Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, and Tanzania. The western group includes Luo and Dinka; the eastern group includes Masai and Turkana.
- The largest Nilotic populations in Uganda are the Iteso and Karamojong ethnic groups, who speak Eastern Nilotic languages, and the Acholi, Langi, and Alur, who speak Western Nilotic languages.
- Linguists classify Dinka as a major language family in the Nilotic category of African languages.
- There are more than one hundred different indigenous languages spoken in Sudan, including Nubian, Ta Bedawie, and dialects of Nilotic and Nilo-Hamitic languages.
Via Latin from Greek Neilōtikos, from Neilos 'Nile'.
Definition of Nilotic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.