- A country in East Asia, occupying the northern part of the peninsula of Korea; population 22,665,300 (est. 2009); official language, Korean; capital, Pyongyang. Official name Korea, Democratic People's Republic of.
North Korea was formed in 1948 when Korea was partitioned along the 38th parallel. In 1950 North Korean forces invaded the south, but in the war that followed were forced back to more or less the previous border (see Korean War). A communist state which was long dominated by the personality of Kim Il-sung, its leader from 1948 to 1994, North Korea has always sought Korean reunification
- More example sentences
- I am rather surprised that Australia is getting heavily involved with the North Korean problem.
- However, it remains to be seen whether the North Korean regime is willing to make the efforts to implement the deals made at the summit.
- The outcome of the Internet balloting was as preordained as a North Korean election.
More definitions of North KoreaDefinition of North Korea in:
- The US English dictionary