Definition of Norwegian in English:
Relating to Norway or its people or language.
- I did many evening courses in the Norwegian language and I eventually began to get freelance translation work.
- Some time during her earlier years, Ellen went to Alta to perfect her knowledge of the Norwegian language, and to learn home economics and sewing.
- While still in Norway a Norwegian commander who worked in the shipyard that built St Albans paid the ship a visit.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Norway, or a person of Norwegian descent.
- The trick for me has been to attempt to absorb Norway, not to be negative, to identify with Norwegians and Norway, yet not lose my Irish roots.
- In a few days Norway and Norwegians all over the World will celebrate the 17th of May.
- Every 17th of May you will see Norwegians at their rowdiest and drunkest for their National Day celebrations.
2 [mass noun] The language of Norway, a member of the Scandinavian language group. See also Bokmål, Nynorsk.
- Icelandic is a Germanic language related to Norwegian.
- Most of Shukla's works have been translated and published in Norwegian and Urdu languages.
- Swedish is a North Germanic language, related to Norwegian, Danish, and German.
Definition of Norwegian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan