- A hypothetical phylum of languages of which the principal members are the Indo-European, Semitic, Altaic, and Dravidian families.More example sentences
- The impression that most readers will be left with is that Eurasiatic, Nostratic, and ‘New Guinea’ are established language families and that Nostratic, Sino-Tibetan, and ‘New Guinea’ are known to be related.
- The material focuses on the quest for the linguists' holy grail - Nostratic - a hypothetical tongue that some maintain was once the universal spoken language.
- This superfamily, called Dene-Caucasian, was probably used throughout Eurasia before either Nostratic, or Eurasiatic, spread.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Nostratic.More example sentences
- Polish belongs to the west Slavic group of languages of the Indo-European language family, which in turn is part of the Nostratic macrofamily.
1960s: from German nostratisch, based on Latin nostras, nostrat- 'of our country'.
More definitions of NostraticDefinition of Nostratic in:
- The US English dictionary