noun (plural same or Nuers)
- 1A member of an African people of South Sudan and Ethiopia, traditionally pastoralists and cattle-rearers.More example sentences
- Ethnic conflict had been simmering in Gambella since early December over land and grazing rights between the Anuaks and other ethnic groups, including the Nuers and Majingers.
- The Nuer (or Naath as they call themselves) have suffered greatly from the genocidal conflict in southern Sudan, which alas is different from the recently-reported genocidal conflict in western Sudan.
- Rosaldo critiques Evans-Pritchard for ignoring the relationship of ‘imperial domination’ between himself and the Nuer.
- 2 [mass noun] The Nilotic language of the Nuer, with about 840,000 speakers.More example sentences
- However, some contrary evidence is provided by the failure of the Nilotic language Nuer to become more popular.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Nuer or their language.More example sentences
- As we walked to the open-air worship area, one class after the other sang a psalm or hymn in the Nuer language.
- In 2003, he fought against pro-government Nuer factions for control of Wahdah province, but lost.
- Garang and Reik Machar, his erstwhile Nuer rival, for years locked horns in a furious struggle for supremacy.
the name in Dinka.
More definitions of NuerDefinition of Nuer in:
- The US English dictionary