Definition of Nupe in English:
noun (plural same or Nupes)
2 [mass noun] The Benue-Congo language of the Nupe, with over 1 million speakers.
- William Fagg was a man of lists, and many appear in the notebooks: lists of words for ironworking and tools, written in Hausa and Nupe and with their English translation; of purchases and prices (in shillings); of Igbo mask names.
- English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nupe or their language.
- R. E. Bradbury points out that the ‘multiplicity of settlement in the relatively small Ekperi tribe is due to scattering, during the last century, by Nupe raiders’.
- This discussion reveals the factors that contributed to the decline of Hausa and Nupe cloth by the end of the century in contrast to Yoruba aso-oke cloth, which was as vital as ever.
- For most of the 1870's Bishop Crowther established a formal alliance with the rulers of the Nupe kingdom as the southern outpost of the Sokoto Caliphate which was ostensibly being erected on the basis of a slave economy.
the name of a former kingdom at the confluence of the Niger and Benue Rivers in West Africa.
Words that rhyme with Nupecoupé, toupée
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan