Definition of Nupe in English:
noun (plural same or Nupes)
2 [mass noun] The Benue-Congo language of the Nupe, with over 1 million speakers.
- William Fagg was a man of lists, and many appear in the notebooks: lists of words for ironworking and tools, written in Hausa and Nupe and with their English translation; of purchases and prices (in shillings); of Igbo mask names.
- English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nupe or their language.
- R. E. Bradbury points out that the ‘multiplicity of settlement in the relatively small Ekperi tribe is due to scattering, during the last century, by Nupe raiders’.
- This discussion reveals the factors that contributed to the decline of Hausa and Nupe cloth by the end of the century in contrast to Yoruba aso-oke cloth, which was as vital as ever.
- For most of the 1870's Bishop Crowther established a formal alliance with the rulers of the Nupe kingdom as the southern outpost of the Sokoto Caliphate which was ostensibly being erected on the basis of a slave economy.
the name of a former kingdom at the confluence of the Niger and Benue Rivers in West Africa.