- A member of a religious group which separated from the Roman Catholic Church after the time of the Reformation, especially the Church of Utrecht (which broke with Rome in 1724), and a number of German-speaking Churches which refused to accept papal infallibility after the First Vatican Council.More example sentences
- The Old Catholics split with the Roman Catholic Church in 1870 over papal infallibility.
- The Old Catholic broke from Rome after Vatican I because they thought the dogma of papal infallibility was too big a development of doctrine.
- These responses, indeed, have been very painful to the Orthodox, especially in regard to the Old Catholics and Anglicans.
More definitions of Old CatholicDefinition of Old Catholic in:
- The US English dictionary