- A subfamily of Afro-Asiatic languages spoken in Ethiopia, with over thirty members, all having comparatively few speakers.More example sentences
- The vast majority of the languages spoken in the country can be classified within three families of the Afro-Asiatic super language family: the Semitic, Cushitic, and Omotic.
adjectiveBack to top
- Denoting or belonging to Omotic.More example sentences
- In the south and southwest, the Omotic family of languages are spoken by many smaller tribal groups.
- Lameen has an intriguing post questioning whether the Omotic languages of eastern Africa are (as they are said to be) part of the Afro-Asiatic family.
- Omotic speakers have been influenced linguistically and otherwise by Nilo-Saharan groups to the west and by East Cushitic groups surrounding them.
1970s: from Omo, the name of a river in SW Ethiopia, + -otic.
More definitions of OmoticDefinition of Omotic in:
- The US English dictionary