Definition of Oromo in English:
noun (plural same or Oromos)
1A member of an East African people, the largest ethnic group in Ethiopia.
- The Oromo are the largest tribe in Ethiopia, and have long wanted to establish their own country.
- Yet another movement claimed to represent the Oromo, Ethiopia's most populous group.
- Great Britain, France, and Italy supported the Ethiopian colonization of Oromos.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Oromo or their language.
- Moving on to a different celebration, the colorful festivities of the Oromo people.
- In Melbourne, many families support relatives who cannot join them due to the current immigration laws and the fact that not all Oromo people are accepted as refugees.
- On Tuesday 24 August the event focuses on Ethiopian writers such as Shantam Shubisa, who is also an internationally recognised singer from the Oromo tribe in Ethiopia.
The name in Oromo. Another name is Galla, which is not favoured by the Oromo themselves and is regarded as pejorative.
Definition of Oromo in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan