- An extinct Italic language of southern Italy, related to Umbrian and surviving in inscriptions mainly of the 4th to 1st centuries bc.More example sentences
- In Pompeii, destroyed in 79 C.E., many of the street signs and graffiti are in Oscan, a language related to Latin but quite distinct from it.
- The Romans, with seven cases, began their expansionist career by defeating speakers of other Italic languages, such as Faliscan, Oscan, and Umbrian, all of which had the same or fewer cases.
- Oscan is an extinct language used in central and southern Italy from around 400 BCE to 79 CE.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Oscan.More example sentences
- The Oscan speakers adopted the Etruscan alphabet to write their language.
- His cult is one of the most ancient of Romans, probably derived from Etruscan or Oscan influences.
late 16th century: from Latin Oscus 'Oscan' + -an.
More definitions of OscanDefinition of Oscan in:
- The US English dictionary