- A class of fishes that includes those with a bony skeleton. Compare with Chondrichthyes.More example sentences
- The division Teleostei within the Osteichthyes (bony fish) is made up of 38 orders.
- Our analyses also give a strong support for the separation of Chondrichthyes (cartilaginous fishes) before the divergence of Osteichthyes (bony fishes) from the other gnathostomes.
- The other two large groups are the class of Crustacea (Shrimp, Lobster, Crab) and Osteichthyes (bony fish).
modern Latin (plural), from Greek osteon 'bone' + ikhthus 'fish'.
More definitions of OsteichthyesDefinition of Osteichthyes in:
- The US English dictionary