noun( • trademark in the US)
- A board with letters, numbers, and other signs around its edge, to which a planchette, movable pointer, or upturned glass moves, supposedly in answer to questions from people at a seance.More example sentences
- Your answer to the question about Ouija boards brought back a rather amusing story of my own experience with the devil board.
- It explains why the planchette, in response to questions, glides so smoothly over the Ouija board to spell answers which seem to come from spirits.
- Age scoffs at those who think this is all about Ouija boards and séances.
late 19th century: of uncertain origin: possibly from French oui 'yes' + German ja 'yes'.
More definitions of Ouija boardDefinition of Ouija board in:
- The US English dictionary