- Relating to or denoting the neoclassical style of Andrea Palladio, in particular with reference to the phase of English architecture from circa 1715, when there was a revival of interest in Palladio and his English follower, Inigo Jones, and a reaction against the baroque.More example sentences
- Even window glazing bars, elements that do so much to give the detailed scale of Palladian and Neo-Classical architecture, were usually omitted from elevation drawings.
- As patron to numerous architects, he revived the pure Palladian style of Inigo Jones and almost bankrupted himself in the process.
- NEW research has linked work which transformed Lydiard Mansion to Palladian revival architect Roger Morris.
- More example sentences
- The first is that he has grasped the dead hand of that perennial curse of English architecture: Palladianism.
- Burlington's protégé was William Kent, and together they promoted Palladianism for the next thirty years.
- The finished form of the building is suitably monumental, built in a baroque style that eschews the more mannered Palladianism favoured for most contemporary commissions.
More definitions of PalladianDefinition of Palladian in:
- The US English dictionary