Definition of Palladian in English:
Relating to or denoting the neoclassical style of Andrea Palladio, in particular with reference to the phase of English architecture from circa 1715, when there was a revival of interest in Palladio and his English follower, Inigo Jones, and a reaction against the baroque.
- Even window glazing bars, elements that do so much to give the detailed scale of Palladian and Neo-Classical architecture, were usually omitted from elevation drawings.
- As patron to numerous architects, he revived the pure Palladian style of Inigo Jones and almost bankrupted himself in the process.
- NEW research has linked work which transformed Lydiard Mansion to Palladian revival architect Roger Morris.
- Example sentences
- The first is that he has grasped the dead hand of that perennial curse of English architecture: Palladianism.
- Burlington's protégé was William Kent, and together they promoted Palladianism for the next thirty years.
- The finished form of the building is suitably monumental, built in a baroque style that eschews the more mannered Palladianism favoured for most contemporary commissions.
Words that rhyme with PalladianAcadian, Akkadian, Arcadian, Barbadian, Canadian, circadian, Grenadian, Hadean, Orcadian, radian, steradian
Definition of Palladian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.