- Relating to or denoting the main family of Australian Aboriginal languages, covering much of the continent except for a northern fringe. Most have become extinct during the 20th century.More example sentences
- Was there a major expansion of Pama-Nyungan speakers, probably around five millennia ago, at the expense of other languages previously spoken in the area?
- The Pama-Nyungan family was identified and named by Kenneth Hale, in his work on the classification of Native Australian languages.
- Dixon also rejects the Pama-Nyungan idea.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- The Pama-Nyungan family of languages.More example sentences
- The other three tribes speak languages belonging to the Nyungic group of Pama-Nyungan.